22 nov. 2010

Why so many rules in the written language? my spellcheck always colour my papers red and green.

I volunteered to write an article for my school magazine about my life as an exchangestudent in Korea. I was told that the size was open, and that creative solutions where welcome. So, of course I wanted to do that! I like creative writing and I also saw it as a good opportunity to promote some good Korean punk music. Cause, thats what the article was about - Under Ground In Korea. I spend x hours writing and editing some cool pictures for them. I started to become a little bit worried when I didn´t here anything from them after I sent them a bunch of material. I am a control freak when it comes down to these kind of businesses. I need it to perfectly reflect me and who I am and what I stand for. So, boy was I angry when I saw the final result! They totally changed it! They used words and expressions that I would never even think of use! I estimate the feeling and main point with the article to be changed about 80%. And my name, and my picture is under something that I can not stand for at all. I have been very angry, sad and disappointed. But, what makes me even more angry, is the reason why they changed it. They say they had to edit it because the language wasn´t "the kind of language you learn in school of journalism", and because, "some parts didnt make any sense", and "the first thing you learn when you study journalism is.." and so on. That is, something completely different from what they first said about creativity.
I am not a journalist and I never said I wanted to be. I write the way I write because that is how I wish to express my thoughts, that is what I want to have my name and photo under. How can someone take the freedom to change all that, into what HE thinks is ok, and publish it without even asking me, or even telling me that some changes where made, and then put my name under it?! 

Why do we need to control the written word in some areas? Why so many rules? Even in the world of academic writing, one could ask if a more informal language that engage and inspire wouldnt be to prefer instead of one that makes people dont read or fall asleep. 
My friend Kerba found this video, and thought about my issues.




And oh, how the story ends? The magazine is unfortunately allready published with my article in it. But the head editor acknowledged my criticism and gave me right. In the next issue there will be an apology and correction that my article was edited.



4 kommentarer: